Friday, November 2, 2007

After the Rain

There is a day I remember from my childhood. It was a day in late summer, at the end of a week's worth of rain. The temperature was cool for August. The air felt clear and calm, washed clean by the storms that had swept through. It smelled so earthy and good. There was a magical electric charge in the air, something tingly. Possibilities of adventures.

Standing at the end of my street, I looked down all the streets west of my house. Everything was full, lush, and glowed green, like a corridor of greenness. It was quiet, which was in itself unusual for a neighborhood full of kids home from school for the summer. I felt almost as if I were the only one here, or maybe the only one seeing this energy. At 10 years old, I had a glimpse into something bigger, and I never forgot it.


"After the Rain" 2007 14"x14" SOLD

1 comment:

Lynda Lehmann said...

BEAUTIFUL image and description of one of those moments C.S. Lewis would describe as an experience of "the numinous!" I love having those moments!

I enjoyed reading about your experience!