Saturday, November 10, 2007

Dreamy Tree

I just got this painting back yesterday from a show it was in. I used to make a lot of tree paintings and realize I haven't made one since leaving Chicago, over one year ago. Thirteen months, to be exact. One of the things I love about living in Los Angeles is the flora, which still delights me with every change that happens. Purple flowering jacaranda trees, hot pink blooms on the silk floss trees, nearly fluorescent bougainvillea everywhere! Cactus gardens, palms, calla lilies growing outside by the hot tub. Outside. Tall. Plants that do not die over the winter because it just doesn't get cold enough to kill them. Sorry, Chicagoans.

I love this tree, and living with it again inspires me to begin a new tree series. Most of my trees were bare, winter trees. My bare trees would look as if they were dancing, moving, communicating with their bodies. What is so different about this tree is the foliage. I began painting trees with leaves the last year I lived in Chicago. After 11 years of painting bare trees, this was a big deal for me. I wonder what kind of trees I will paint now? I will post them as I do them.

"Dreamy Tree" 2006 32"x40" at kriscahill.com

1 comment:

Nicole Florian said...

Beautiful!
Nicole
www.manualpaper.blogspot.com