Friday, November 30, 2007

Energy of the Sea

Today it rained all day long. It's the first real rainy day I remember since I moved to Los Angeles on October 3, 2006. No joking.

I loved it. I was out driving in the rain, enjoying a dust-free windshield. I noticed that many other drivers seemed uneasy in the rain, perhaps because of its unusual nature in Southern California. And while I was driving on the 101, a friend called, also a transplant from Chicago. She was happy about the rain as well, and though we talked about the weather, it was a real conversation. It was about feeling something we each hadn't felt in a long time.

I've always loved rainy days, though like most people, not too many of them in a row, please. Could I order my rainy days scattered like sparkles throughout the sunny ones? I don't want to seem greedy here. One day like today will fill me up for a while.

My silk floss tree, the tree I fell in love with as soon as I moved into this urban oasis in downtown LA, looks so happy. Its trunk is finally bright green and lovely. It's been wanting a big drink of water for so long, all 3 stories of it. Last year it greeted me the day I moved in with a profusion of hot pink blooms. This year it could barely muster a few blooming branches after the measly 3" of rain all year.

The rain of today has washed away much of the energy that's been collecting all about. And not just from my car, which is much closer to its original color now than it has been in a while. A side note: one may not realize how dirty one's car windows have become until rain brings sudden consciousness to this fact.

No, the energy I am talking about is often invisible to most, but definitely felt by many. I am aware of a large number of people who are going through big upheavals now, huge changes, freakouts, destruction, massive newness! Wow, what do I do now?

Today's rain seemed to me a balancing of the circus going on now. Kind of like zambonis at a hockey game. Clear the playing surface and begin again.

"Energy of the Sea" 2007 14"x14" at kriscahill.com

1 comment:

dianeclancy said...

Hi Kris,

I like that ... rain sprinkled through the sunny days ... nice!

Lovely image also!

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog