Monday, November 12, 2007

Free the House-Elves, I Mean Humans!

I love Hermione Granger and especially, her quest to free the house-elves. I was right there with her the whole way, and it was such an interesting turn when they didn't WANT to be set free! Huh? Who on earth (or at Hogwarts) wouldn't want to be free???

How silly of me. It was considered shameful for a house-elf to be freed by its master. Every good house-elf knows its place, and has one. Dobby was just an oddball, and Winky fell apart after being freed.

As a person who has spent my life working toward my freedom, (and along the way thinking I could help others achieve theirs), one thing I have learned is that in order to be free, you gotta wanna be! It's scary, this freedom thing. Who am I going to blame if 'xyz' doesn't work out? What would you do if suddenly all blocks that have been in your way, weren't? What would I do?

I like to think I'd be doing pretty much what I am now, (only with more shoe shopping). I'm already stretching more everyday, making new contacts, writing this blog, perfecting what it is I do. Still, I'm looking for my excuses and rooting them out like the weeds they are.

I've been reading a great book called 'Art & Fear' by David Bayles & Ted Orland. One of my favorite passages:

"When sense of self depends so directly upon the ranking bestowed by the outside world, motivation to produce work that brings high ratings is extreme. In not knowing how to tell yourself that your work is OK, you may be driven to the top of the heap in trying to get the rest of the world to tell you."

I don't think this speaks only to artists. It does speak of valuing oneself, and is a place where many people are growing right now, including yours truly.

"It matters not what someone was born, but what they grow to be."
~J.K. Rowling , Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire


'Ring of Fire' 2007 30"x22" at kriscahill.com

2 comments:

dianeclancy said...

Hi Kris,

This is a great post and I am right with you the whole way! From start to finish.

Freedom is not easy for many of us to embrace .. and certainly not the freedom of a blank canvas!!

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog

Helen Suzanne said...

me too! This is my whole ethos about fear limiting creativity and people not being willing to take the responsibility for being all they could be. So good to find a like-minded person (or two) out there.