Saturday, December 15, 2007

Flowers in December

I always want to collect up my energy at the end of a year. I don't want to leave any of it behind me, as I will need it going forward. 2008 looks like it is going to rock and I will need every speck of myself with me, every molecule, every teeny weeny bit. All the big bits too.

In my zeal to get myself into present time, I'm revisiting a lot from my past. This painting, 'Sunflower', is from about 7 years ago. I am feeling nostalgic for my flower paintings, which I used to make a lot of. At the time I was making a lot of flower paintings, I was also growing a lot of flowers. I lived in Chicago, which as you may already know, has a Very Short growing season. Not Long Enough, as I recall. And full of Surprises, which can wipe out one's entire garden in one May frost overnight.

Still, I am nostalgic for it, because it was so sweet, after the long Midwestern winter, to welcome spring. And what a lovely segue into my point: I feel as if I am about to begin my Spring. I am finally leaving a kind of Winter I have been in for a long time. It is hard to describe or explain. I just know I am about to start on the next part of this wonderful adventure that is my life.

So I may be a bit nostalgic for the past. As I collect myself back from it, and have a lot of gratitude for what I have gone through, the people who helped me, and who I have become, I can see more clearly a new beginning.

I am visualizing new flower paintings. And new trees. Blooming with the first buds of Spring.

"Sunflower" 2001 32"x26"

4 comments:

ARTzy FaRtZy GiRL said...

I am sorry if it may seem like I am bugging you with too many comments....but you know what?...I love to wake up and look at your blog b/c of the colors in your paintings, and the colors in your words!

This post is one in which I can very much relate to, in more ways than one. Like you, the end of every year is a time to decompress and reevaluate in preparation for a better, new year! I am very excited for 08! It's going to be gr8!

Funny too, recently I read one of my old journal entries from the time I had a flourishing garden, filled with sunflowers! I want to make it a point in 2008 to dig in the dirt again! Amen!

thanks Kris!
MUAH!
xoxox

shoshana

dianeclancy said...

Hi Kris,

This flower is very beautiful!!

I understand about the cycles of winter and spring and such in our lives. I am so glad for you that you are moving into spring. And, yes, the winter is a time for the plants to pull all their resources inward for the coming movement outward.

Isn't that what you just said for you? I know you are going to have a delightful spring!!

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog

theysaywordscanbleed said...

cute flower portrait.

Sue O'Kieffe said...

i know exactly what you mean about leaving the past behind in anticipation of a new spring. and i know about those midwestern summers too. i have not yet longed for the winters, though. i never was too keen on snow shoveling.
enjoy.
~sue o'kieffe