Saturday, December 8, 2007

Valley of the Sun

I meet a lot of people who are going through stuff, Big Stuff. Life changing stuff. They have decided to grow, and maybe it all started with something relatively simple, like I Am Tired Of How Things Are Now. Or, I Want More. Or Why Don't I Know What I Want? Or more poignantly, Why Did This Happen To Me? Or even more dramatically, Why Is Everything Falling Apart? AAIIIEEEAAHHHH!!!

It's so much fun to read people who have gone through this, and are now Through it. Into something else, to be sure. Last night I gave readings to a group of women at a party. I love to read at parties. One woman I read wanted me to look at her growth, and where she is now. I saw she had come though several decades of clearing everyone's problems out of her space. Thirty years ago she took on every problem that came her way, along with all the pain that came with it. Nowadays, her amusement is so great no problem can get through it. "You want me to solve WHAT?" while laughing herself silly, was the picture. Both she and I laughed out loud at this one.

This week something interesting happened for me. I was quoted in the Los Angeles Times, in an article about the Writer's Guild strike. I am listed on the WGA website as one of the businesses giving discounts to writers during the strike, (I'm offering a discount on my readings.)

The reporter, Lynn Smith, emailed to ask if any writers had responded to my offer. One had, and I wrote back to Lynn letting her know this. She asked if the writer was concerned about her future career as a writer. I wrote back that I don't predict the future since I don't see it is written in stone. And that it is interesting when something big like a Writer's strike comes along because everyone has a chance to make choices.

What I notice during emotionally charged events like this strike, is that everyone has an opportunity to take a step. It is possible to create something new, no matter what the outcome. And each person is making choices along the way. Sometimes things have to look hopeless in order for actual change to happen.

Life is very messy. So is making Art.

"Valley of the Sun" 2006 34"x32"

4 comments:

dianeclancy said...

Hi Kris,

I love this picture .... especially right now ... we are having an ice storm. Be fun to be at a party with you!!

I will be gone for a couple of days so I will post but not comment. I have the posts written. See you soon!

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog

Neda said...

You are incredibly perceptive. I'd love to see you elaborate on what you mean by people who are now "Through It." Given my own personal history, I would really love to know more :)

Kris Cahill said...

Hi Neda,
The woman I used as an example has learned that she doesn't need to take on other people's problems and pain. She won't do that anymore, and can heal. She is Through with that, and has moved onto something else.

I see it as being about self image. Once an old self image picture has gone, there is room for so much more!

Debi said...

You seem wise, Kris, like Neda pointed out. And fun, like Diane pointed out. And like your work points out -- incredibly talented!

I love this painting! (I should just copy and paste that for every one of your posts. ha)