Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Amusement, Again

I write about amusement a lot. It is one of my favorite energies. And it'll do in a pinch if you run out of other things, like patience, or money, or clean underwear. Amusement is a very high spiritual vibration. It is healing to have. I have a lot of it; I am fortunate to be wealthy in amusement. Sometimes I am just full of it!! (That was a joke.)

Today was one of those days that had bunches of amusement, or at least I did so things were funny. From songs on the radio:
"He made his home in
that fish's ab-do-men..."
(Heard on KCRW this morning, "It Ain't Necessarily So")

After hearing this, I began laughing, and for some odd reason began thinking about Julie Andrews singing "A Spoonful Of Sugar" when I was a kid. Which led to the next thought, as I'm now driving along singing this out loud and laughing, which was about the comedians who do political satire. Some of them, like Jon Stewart, Steven Colbert, and Bill Maher, understand the value of using amusement to communicate serious ideas. Their messages can be heard more easily this way.

People look to comics, clowns, fools and jesters during difficult and serious times. The Marx Brothers misbehaving in society, making huge messes, being fools and owning it. Monty Python not making sense, being completely silly, or blundering (Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition...). The class clown. Many comics have made a name being inappropriate and offensive, treading on perfect pictures: perfect family, perfect bride, perfect life. The roasting of perfection is a healing because it is simply not possible to live one's life that way.

I am my parent's firstborn child. My mother was, understandably, protective of her new baby, and having had just enough nurse's training to become dangerous, sterilized everything in my nursery, constantly. When people came over to say hello, she made them wash their hands and wear a mask when they held me. I have often joked that I don't tan because my mother bleached me as a baby. Everything was all perfect for a while. Then one day, out of the blue, the boiler in the basement blew up. Everything in the house was covered with soot and ash, including me, my nursery, and all that perfectness. By the time my youngest brother was born, 5 children later, and kids from the neighborhood would come over to see the new baby, my mother said, "just don't drop him."

My sister Betty has an Etsy shop called snappyshop, and I model for her. My alter ego is Katrina. It all started very innocently, she asked me last year if I'd help her out by modeling her aprons so it was easier to sell them. She had been trying to shoot them while wearing them herself and if you've ever tried that, you know it's much easier to have another body there. Since they are unique handmade aprons, we shot them in her kitchen. We thought we'd use kitchen props. Here is my favorite. Yes, that's me with the butcher knife. Props are good. After laughing through our whole photo shoot, we go out to lunch and then go shopping.

Here's a few fun links for your amusement:
Happy Tree Friends Cute, cuddly, and sweet, until things go horribly horribly wrong.
Strindberg and Helium
Monk-e-Mail Send a talking monkey to your friends.

Have fun!

"New Year's Heart" 2008 12"x12" acrylic on vinyl in reverse
available at ETSY

9 comments:

Neda said...

Your post today brightened my day. Just seeing your photos were worth waking up this morning! You gals are a riot!

Chris O'Byrne said...

I loved the knife shot! "It's just a flesh wound." Rock on.

malia said...

YEAH... I didn't even know you had a blog, so much for my skills:) I'm loving it! Hope all is well in your world...:)

Bettina said...

Katrina is the best model ever in the history of advertising and beauty. Thanks Kris. You are the best. I agree about laughter and humor being very theraputic. You are really funny. Mike and I have been enjoying your images all morning.
Love Betty

CattyCat said...

Hi: I'm in the Creative Everyday challenge too, and am working my way down the long list of participants. I am def going to put you on my side bar so I can find my way here daily to see your art. I really appreciate your works. I am posting a weeks worth of art on every Monday.

Have fun.
Maryellen (aka CattyCat)

dianeclancy said...

Hi Kris,

Great post! I make silly little things like that ... mostly word things ... inside me.

Nice shop for your sister ... I hearted her. Katrina is a very good model! I must ask her if I need something modeled!

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog

John (Copyright JMM 2007-2008) said...

Monkey mail and knives, the odds of both in one post is like winning lotto.

Sweet Irene said...

Humor is so important, but I, for one, get way too serious and forget to laugh when it is the most appropriate thing to do. I do have a sense of humor. It is of the slapstick variety and it comes out all at once, but I would like it better if little doses of it came out regularly during the day when I am so serious and earnest.

I love you with the butcher knife. You have a real crazed look on your face. And the apron is nice too.

Kris Cahill said...

Thank you all! I laugh with you and am fortunate and happy to be in such amused company.

Neda, ditto. Just seeing your post and your beautiful art brightens my day as well.

Chris, I love that movie too!

Malia, thanks for the hello. Your photos are gorgeous! I love the shots of those two beautiful dogs and will comment soon.

Bettina, Right back at you, sis! You are a funny lady. I love your copy on your Etsy.

Maryellen, thanks so much for the visit and the comment. How nice!

Diane, thanks so much. That all means a lot coming from you!

John, you have a golden way with words. I appreciate your humor so much.

Irene, thank you. I didn't know how really crazed I could look until I was handed a butcher knife. But it was fun and nobody was hurt. I kind of like being scary sometimes. :)