Wednesday, January 9, 2008

And Now For Something Completely Different...

I am amused by the idea of flowers sullenly hanging around on the corner, smoking and sneering at you as you pass. Must be the punky teenager still inside of me, anyway I am amused at actual teenagers who do this too. Though I am careful to act scared...

Like my trees, my flowers have personalities. They are the closest I have gotten so far to painting people. (Except when I used to paint in a more cartoony style years ago and I may share those with you one day...) I wouldn't by any means call it "figure painting", but they are figures and I paint them...?

These flowers are checking you out. They are looking for your weakness. They also think they look so tough but actually they're just cute and need watering. Storm clouds are gathering, soon they will get their wish. That's a different painting, but in that one they look more wet than threatening.

Amusement is the energy I am working on now, and if it takes being silly, so be it. One of my favorite genius shows in my life was Monty Python's Flying Circus. Here's a few very silly links for you:

The Lumberjack Song
The Spam Sketch

I used to watch this show every week with my family. We would laugh and laugh, and my formative years were enriched by these very silly men who helped me make sense of things by NOT making sense. I am eternally grateful to all of them!

Watch and enjoy these healers in action.

"Stormy Daisy Day" 2006 26"x18" SOLD


8 comments:

Noel said...

As a former, rehabilitated, sneering teenager, I could tell you for sure if you walked by me I'd be checking you out, too!

I like checking out your paintings and learning more about them.

Uh-oh, the flowers are looking at me, gotta go...

Chris O'Byrne said...

How fun! A couple of years ago I visited the Spam Museum in Austin, MN. One of their displays is a television that plays the Monty Python spam sketch over and over... it's hilarious!

self taught artist said...

thanks for the comment on my blog, came by to check you out. love it, before i even read the flower post i totally got the smoking thing and aggression and humor. what an interesting painting!
ps i can't believe you love kruder & dorfmeister. i used to have that on my profile too. love them!

JafaBrit's Art said...

yes, I sense they are checking me out, lol! I love this, the looooooooooon stems and the way they crowd together.

We watched the same show growing up, that and I used to LOVE peter cook and dudley moore show (that was prior to monty python). Spam sketch is still played out this house, especially when husband wants to know whats for dinner lol!

Kris Cahill said...

Thanks for visiting!

Noel, Former? The flowers are calling for you...

Chris, that sounds like my kind of museum!

Paula, I'm glad you like my wacky flowers. Now I feel like listening to Kruder & Dorfmeister, who I haven't heard in too long.

Jafabrit, I also love Peter Cook and Dudley Moore! Spam is a big part of my life too. Except I refuse to eat it.

Neda said...

I feel like Alice in Wonderland looking up at the flowers :)

LOve John Cleese. Loved him more when he refused some British Honorary Title. Always irreverant till the end.

John (Copyright JMM 2007-2008) said...

Kris, your flowers - and I have only seen so far a couple of examples in recent posts - have all the energy of the mad April rush to life. April in New York, not Paris - I mean. When nature cranks up life big time and bird, foliage and plants and people come out to play. Celebratory.

dianeclancy said...

Hi Kris,

I like your flowers!! How fun to see them as sneery teens ....

I like the Alice in Wonderland idea ... I have a few paintings like that.

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog