Friday, January 25, 2008

Another Dawn, Dreams and a Mon.key

I was a night owl when I was younger. I loved the mystery and quiet of the night time. I loved to see how late I could stay awake. It was peaceful, everyone was asleep, and I was free to imagine all kinds of things for myself. I'd enjoy the peace and imagine what I'd do when I grew up. I'd read massive quantities of books, or draw, or sew. One summer when I was a teenager, two other girls on my block and I would stay up all night long, until it was light outside. We hung out at one of their houses, and would talk and watch TV, and sometimes play ping pong. I don't know how we were able to get away with this, but we did. I'd go home at 6AM or so, and sleep as long as I was able to with a houseful of other people who had all had a good night's sleep. We didn't do this very often, just a few times, but it was really fun.

I continued in this vein for a number of years. There was something about the deepest part of night that always grabbed me in the deepest part of my chest. It was better when I was by myself, more profound. When I began to drive, one of my favorite things to do was to drive late at night in the very early spring, the first night it was actually warm enough to open the car windows. Which in Chicago is about 50 degrees.

Note: When 50 degrees F hits Chicago after a Long Winter, people actively cheer! and proceed to put on shorts, t shirts, and sandals. When it gets down to 50 degrees F in Los Angeles, people put on winter coats, scarves, and complain that it's cold. It's all a matter of perspective. And a source of unending amusement for me.

Back to the night time. Driving alone, accompanied only by the radio on those early spring nights, was something special. The air smelled tantalizingly like Spring. That smell brought up emotions, memories, longings I couldn't express. I didn't understand where they came from. I couldn't wait to begin living my life!

All through college, I did my best work late at night. I see now that I was able to get some space at night, that the cares of the day were behind me and I could relax. Then I began to really like the day time. Part of it was th
e W word, Work. As in job. Getting up early and such like. Needing enough sleep meant going to bed earlier.

I also began to like my dreams, and will often have a better dreaming night if I am in bed earlier, relaxed. For years I scrupulously kept dream journals, which I still have. I love remembering my dreams and still write them down. I have a few from the last two nights to record, some fun, some disturbing. I learn from them. They alert me to energies I need to be aware of. I love how dreams do not make sense.

Speaking of not making sense, I have been awarded the very coveted Mon.key Award by John Mora from Typos.Daylight.Fate. The criteria for this award is a combination of whim and grace, mostly whim. But I suspect the real reason I am receiving it because I recently included a link for Monkey Mail and John has become addicted to it. I have posted my excellently designed award in the right hand column, just under My Blog Log. John promises to hand more of these out, so if you want one, visit him and let him know you're in the running. Check out his blog and awesome art if you've never been. Thank you John! You Make My Day!

"Another Dawn" 2007 14"x14" acrylic on vinyl in reverse
available at kriscahill.com

8 comments:

Gravymaster said...

If you ever want to go asymmetrical, let me know. Send me a straight on shot of yourself and I'll put you through the paces. Probably can't make you not beautiful though (unless we really give it a shot).

Perhaps,if we talk often enough and develop some kind of "relationship," I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on clairvoyance. I used to have,,,episodes of an "other nature" that I had to disavow in order to hold them at bay. It mostly works. There are times when an "old friend" rears it's frightful head but I can tune that out too. Another time perhaps.

Brian

HMBT said...

OH No! Monkey mail is sooooo fun!:)
I relate to the late night thing, for me now as a Mom and working one at that, I get up early for the same effect every single day. I love my two hours before anyone else is up, the moon is still up and the dawn is just starting to turn over. It's a magic quiet time and I love it. Great post, I do enjoy your word-smithing so very much.

dianeclancy said...

Hi Kris,

This is a very wonderful post ... learning more about your post and thoughts and life ... I enjoy it!

Congrats on your award!!

Dreams often have so much power and so much to show us.

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog

Chris O'Byrne said...

I talked to my sister back in Minnesota and she said it was going to be warm this week, all they way up to 20 and they were excited. Egads!

I've felt that Spring thing, too, and I'm not sure what it is about the smell and and temperature and everything else. Something very primal, that's for sure!

The Artful Eye said...

How could I not love this post. I love storytelling. I too was a lover of the night for many years. I'd look for friends who would want to go out around midnight to our local haunt "Muddy Waters" for late night conversation, snack until the wee hours of the morning. This as my time. Now I'm the opposite. I love the early hours of the morning just before the rest of the world wakes up. Congratulations on your mon.key award. Love, love monkey mail must resurrect this fun on someone. Your reverse acrylic painting is so vibrant in color. What paint are you using? Thank you for your visits and kind words.

Sweet Irene said...

I love getting up in the middle of the night and blog. That's really when my mind is unmuddled and I am sharp and clear minded. I am supposed to be asleep, but I find myself wide awake and eager to turn on the computer.

Congratulations on your mon.key award. Coming from John, that is quite an honor.

John (Copyright JMM 2007-2008) said...

I thrive at fifty degrees to sixty - my heart is in san francisco where when it was eighty gegrees we all went to the beach and sat on towels and then stared at the frigid water.

My best - great interview by the way andf the images in it were very solid and also showed the breadth of your work.

Kris Cahill said...

Dear Brian, I write about clairvoyance quite a bit in this blog. Feel free to read back a bit and I'm sure you'll run into some of those posts. Those "old friends" can be told to take a permanent hike.

Heather, I know Monkey mail is tooo much fun. It's great for Birthdays and holidays too. I love the girl monkey in the white maribou outfit with the tiara and blue eyeshadow. So elegant! Thank you for the compliment! It means a lot. :-)

Diane, thank you as ever! I love the messages in dreams too. Such a great way to learn and grow also.

Chris, I know. It's weird to think that somewhere, 20 degrees is warm. I am only too happy to not live there.

Artful Eye, I use acrylic. Oil would not dry on vinyl and would probably eat through it. I have seen india ink on clear mylar, and it looked interesting to try. Thanks for your kindness too!

Irene, I have a feeling you too may get a mon.key award someday. Just my intuition...Thank you!

John, there are quite a lot of people looking at my mon.key award with longing in their hearts. Looks like you will be busy this awards season. First the Oscars, then the Mon.keys. What's the statue going to look like?
Thank you again, I love it! Thanks also on your feedback on the interview. I thought he asked some great questions, which made my job a lot easier.