Sunday, January 13, 2008

Beautiful Sunday

Today was a fabulous day. Los Angeles was graced with temperatures in the upper 70's, which I know many of you don't even want to know about. Sorry. And, here's the kicker, it was also CLEAR. Meaning I can see forever.

Noel and I went for a long hike in Griffith Park, all the way to the top, which is called Dante's Peak. Many of the hiking trails were closed for months after the huge fire in the park last May. Most have reopened, and we were able to revisit a few today. It felt so good to be out in the sun, walking up a steep hill. We could see the snow covered San Gabriel Mountains in one direction, the ocean in another, and lots of blackened trees along our path. It's unusual to see so clearly all the way to the ocean, no fog, no smog blocking the view. I felt wealthy being able to enjoy so many different elements at one time. It's rained a lot here recently, and we could see the bright green new growth all over the burnt out areas. A gift of a day!

As a new week begins, today was a wonderful separation from last week. A time to stop thinking about time, a time to renew. I want this kind of day more, and love it when I have it. I notice that while hiking, other people are very friendly, more so than I bet they are while sitting in endless freeway traffic, or being in the middle of big city madness. Hiking in these hills, it is easy to forget one lives in the middle of a big mad city. It's silent up there, except for other people's voices, and birds, and wind. People hike in the hills to get space in this sometimes crazy place.
How about you, what do you do to renew, to get some space?

"Green Meadow" 2006 32"x36" acrylic on vinyl in reverse
available at kriscahill.com

10 comments:

JafaBrit's Art said...

I love walking in the glen, but lately it is too cold and snowy/muddy. Your walk sounds wonderful.

ovie, or pla

dianeclancy said...

Hi Kris,

I love this image ... these aren't even my colors .. but there is something about the softness and quality of light!

Yesterday sounds glorious!

Renew ... sometimes work helps me renew .. but meditation. .. or watching movies .. or talking with someone ... many things.

Mainly shifting my vision.


~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog

She Who Flies said...

There's nothing like a walk in nature to get you out of time and into flow (well, art does that too :-) I'm glad to hear Griffith Park is now reopened for hiking!

John (Copyright JMM 2007-2008) said...

Upbeat post, thank you - the painting also draws me in....makes me want to explore the ridge and dream with the clouds.

Lynette said...

You sure conveyed the loveliness of the clear day in your painting! I'm so glad that new growth is already coming up from the awful fires you had out there, that's fantastic! It doesn't take Mother Nature long to heal!

Sweet Irene said...

It's a wonderful painting, Kris. So full of life and hope. It makes me long for springtime here in the cold dark Netherlands. I love going for long walks with the dog when it is springtime and watching all the newly budding trees and the new growth that pop up out of the ground. Going outside without my jacket on and feeling the warmth of the sun, however feeble it is at first. Those are great moments.

Kris Cahill said...

Thanks for your comments, all.

Jafabrit, I hope you get to have that walk soon.

Diane, What a wise way to put it, shifting your vision.

Chantal, Thanks so much for the emails. It is nice to meet new kindred spirits.

John, I love that phrase, "dream with the clouds..."

Lynette, I am so happy to see that new growth too. This earth is an amazing thing.

Irene, I bet you are looking forward to that first warm sunny day. I hope you get one soon.

Deb Kirkeeide said...

As you are having your beautiful, warm sunny day I am having a sunny day about 70 degrees cooler than yours. I think I would like to take a walk there, reading your description I almost felt like I was.
I head to nature to renew, a walk in the woods or sitting by the lake or just sitting on my deck and listening to the birds around me. Nothing better!

Anita said...

I just happened to find your while blog-hopping, and I wanted to tell you how much I love this post!
I have never been to a city, but you make it very easy to feel the openness of a smog-free day... :)
I spend a lot of time outside, in the country, taking pictures for my photo blog. Any day outdoors, whether it is snowing or raining or sunny, is a good day for me...
I have never seen an ocean, either, seeing the ocean our walk sounds lovely!

Chris O'Byrne said...

"Happy" was the first word that popped into my mind when I saw this. How gorgeous. Fortunately, my day was only 20 degrees colder, not bad at all. I also went hiking, with my daughter and a friend, and it was exhilirating.