Thursday, January 17, 2008

Blue But Happy Heart

When and why did I begin painting hearts? I remember I was in total judgment of doing so when I began. Jim Dine notwithstanding, I had a hard time with this image at first. Why? I thought 'serious artists' didn't paint hearts. I painted them before I was very aware of Jim Dine. I wanted to paint them. He just gave me permission to do so. Actually, I gave me permission to do so after seeing his.

Though I have made probably 200? hearts since, I don't get tired of this symbol. My heart paintings have ranged in size from 8"x8" to 36"x36". The larger ones are much more textured and detailed, and sometimes darker too. They become more than just a pretty picture of a heart. There is a lot of detail in each heart painting, no matter what size.

The symbol of a heart goes way back. Seeing as how we are heading into Heart Season, I thought I'd do some research. Aristotle considered the heart the seat of thought, reason, or emotion, more so than the brain. Many others throughout history thought of the heart as the seat of human emotions. Phrases and sayings are significant: a good heart, wearing your heart on your sleeve, cold hearted, black hearted, without heart, it's got heart, deep in my heart, my heart longs for you...and many more. Simply put, we use the symbol of a heart to represent not only love, but feeling, depth, kindness, integrity.

The organ of the heart is associated with the 4th chakra, in the human energy system. This chakra is, appropriately enough, located in the center of the chest. It has to do with affinity, self love, love for others, love for what one is creating. Also, self image. As a psychic, when I look at someone who has a very active 4th chakra, it can mean that person is quite a healer.

Years ago, I had a fascination with reading the obituaries every morning. Right after the comics. (My father used to say, "everyone died in alphabetical order again today!) I read the obituaries to see several things: how old the person was when they died, and what they did for a living. I just wanted to know, and later when I began training as a psychic, I realized why. I was "reading" the obits while reading them. For instance, I noticed how many physicians died of heart attacks. Healers all, their 4th chakras were probably full of everyone's pain.

I learned a fascinating idea in my training: heal the spirit and the spirit heals the body. Wow! How mind blowing that was. I tried it, and it began to work. Once I began on this spiritual path, I wasn't going to turn back. I learned that my true work here on this earth may be a bit different than what I once thought it was. I used to think it was my job to fix and heal anyone and everyone. I tried, my body was in lots of pain. As I changed that to making it my job to heal myself, wouldn't you know it? My body began to heal. It's pretty happy now, and I'm much happier with it.

Many of the readings I give are to people who are trying to heal on some level. Perhaps they are deep in the process, maybe they are still trying to heal the world around them first. The miracles of healing I have seen over the years are really astounding. Here's a thought: when you heal yourself, you create healing around you. Just by being well.

"Blue Heart on Violet" 2007 14"x14" acrylic on vinyl in reverse
available at ETSY

6 comments:

dianeclancy said...

Hi Kris,

Especially beautiful heart. Fun to hear about their history.

Amazing how people die in alphabetical order!

I think just about all of us are trying to heal ... I certainly don't know anyone 100% healed .. but I love that healing spreads outward.

Thank you for the review!!

~ Diane Clancy
www.dianeclancy.com/blog

Sweet Irene said...

I love the blue heart and it doesn't make me feel blue in the least. It feels very warm and comforting, although it is unusual in color.

We have many sayings involving the heart in Dutch also, so it has been a universal symbol of all the things you mention.

Your painting is very vibrant and alive and you wait for the next heart beat.

I like your last thought and find it to be very true and appropriate.

Speedcat Hollydale said...

I see the blue heart as neither happy nor sad, more static... ready... waiting.
Interesting art - and ideas!

Thanks for stopping by, I assume through Kim. You have a real talent :-)

Speedy

John (Copyright JMM 2007-2008) said...

Smart, strong post images and sentiment.

"There is a lot of detail in each heart painting, no matter what size." I like that.

You are making me think, which is good.

Kris Cahill said...

Diane, you are so welcome. You deserve lots of great reviews.

Irene, I'm glad you liked that last thought. It's one I live by.

Speedy, Thank you for that! I also like that you see the blue heart as ready and waiting.

John, vice versa. Your writing always makes me think, and it is good!

JafaBrit's Art said...

I used to feel the same about painting hearts and then decided what the heck, I have a right to paint them too :) We each bring something special to the image.

I like your blue heart and enjoyed your post very much.

ps.I love Jim Dine's work