Friday, February 8, 2008

Blue To Red

Another one from my archives, "Blue to Red" was painted using a technique I read about in an artist's manual years ago. I apply the paint to newspaper first, then use the paper to put the paint on the vinyl. In reverse. This is my messiest technique, which adds to its allure for me. I need to make more messes, the painty kind. I love the texture and marks that result from this method of applying the paint in layers. My hands get coated with paint while doing this. I am usually quite careful, since it's pigments we're talking about here. I coat my hands with a barrier cream before painting, which does nothing to protect my manicure should I be foolish enough to think it will last.

I like how challenging it is to control the paint this way. I get blurry soft edges, and an unfocused look. I also like the "accidents" that happen. I'm working on a new flower series now, and one of the things I am playing with is focus, and object/background relationship. Often, while painting objects, I separate them from the background. I want to start mixing that up, softening some of the edges, playing with perspective.

Shoshana visited me today! I'll write more about that in a later post, but let me say right now that it was fabulous to meet her. I am excited about the new collaboration we are beginning this month. Thank you for coming to my studio, Shoshana!

"Blue To Red" 2004 30"x28" acrylic on vinyl in reverse SOLD

8 comments:

Sweet Irene said...

I don't know if I want you to change the focus and blurry the edges. It seems like such a chance to take and such a departure from what we are used to.

Listen to me, as if I should tell you how to paint!

I went to Shoshana's website and I am very moved now. I have bookmarked her blog and will return to read more. It seems to me that she needs to be in focus with very clear edges and I hope you can help give her those.

We are all each other's extensions, aren't we? None of us is alone and singular. That is one thing you learn in the blog world.

Kim said...

the blue positively bounces off that rich red velvety texture !!!
so tactile Kris...
your new venture with Shoshana sounds exciting....
I'm sure it will be sensational :)

Jean Levert Hood said...

your technique sounds amazing, and, yes, very messy!! The size of this work really caught my attention. It must be quite a challenge to use this reverse technique on something so large.
Love it!

dianeclancy said...

Hi Kris,

How fun to hear about your technique and the messy kind who likes to play!

Wonderful to meet offline a special friend! Cool!

~ Diane Clancy
www.DianeClancy.com/blog
www.YourArtMarketing.com

The Artful Eye said...

Kris, this is one of my favorite ways to paint. I didn't know there was a manual explaining this. I almost never reach for a brush. I have painterly hands and lots of newspaper and paper towels. There is great texture in your heart both literally and figuratively.

Kris Cahill said...

Thank you, as ever, for your kind and thoughtful comments.

Irene, I like the blog world for that too. It's fun to meet people from all over and create a new community. We are not alone.

Kim, thanks so much!

Jean, it's not so hard this size. It really gets tricky when the painting is wider than my wingspan.

Diane, I'm loving making a mess!

Andrea, I just read one artist's account of doing this, and it immediately appealed to me. I also love using tools besides brushes, like you!

Shoshana Rose said...

Dear Kris,

Sweet Irene is so right in her comment about me. And get this!...it happened! You reminded me of something I'd forgotten. Something so simple, yet so very valuable--the need to ground myself through meditation and come back to my center. And how did you put it?...in so doing I will clear out all the pollution in my soul. Sigh.

Anyway, I did it! I meditated yesterday and OMG!...the vision returned! The 'focus'; the clear, sharp picture. I am prepping to blog about the vision; meeting you; our project, etc. Please take a look at that today on The ARTisT iN YOU.

Soul Sistah!
MUAH!
xoxox
shoshi

Kris Cahill said...

Thank you Shoshana! Rock on yourself!!