Thursday, February 7, 2008

Orchid Valley, Lists, and Yet ANOTHER Award!

Wowie Gazowie! I have been awarded yet again, this time by Kim over at Laketrees. This award is for "exuding sunshine and serenity wherever I go". Wow, thank you Kim! Coming from you, who I always think of as being a positive force out here in Blogland, this is lovely. I will display it proudly.


I suppose this award is well timed, since my post for today begins like this:

Ten Things To Do Instead Of Worrying:

1. Laugh out loud foolishly. Even if you don't really mean it. At least you might accidentally get some fresh air this way.
2. Make up silly riddles. (Do vegetarians wear fishnets?)
3. Eat ridiculously overpriced and amazing chocolate.
4. Read the comics before the news.
5. Read the obituaries. Notice how everyone died in alphabetical order again. Smile because your name isn't there.
6. Turn OFF the TV.
7. Breathe.
8. Try on hats.
9. Write country songs. (My newest one is called "Take the chains off my heart, it's not a snow tire."
(Dedicated to everyone living in Chicago, where 18 inches of snow fell today.)
10. Sit still for 5 minutes. When you begin to fidget after the first 20 seconds, really get into it. Fidget loudly and like you mean it.

I write lists just for fun sometimes. Often they are lists of goals, of what I want, of clothes I want to sew, improvements I want to make. Making lists helps me get organized. Lists also help me figure out what I want, which is no small feat. I can probably find 3 lists around me right now without looking too hard. Sometimes they are shopping lists, or lists of what I want to get done today. Lists help me ground my day, help me get to what I am trying to accomplish. And of course, I have permission to scratch things off the list, ignore them, or just fuggedaboudit if I don't want to do that thing at all.

Because of the many demands on my space each and every day, making lists helps me to stay focussed. When one is self employed, this is key to actually getting goals accomplished. Especially when one works mainly out of one's own home, with all its many distractions of laundry, errands, chores. Ev
en cleaning out the refrigerator looks good to me on a day I am procrastinating. So I have to look at my list. Nope, don't see 'cleaning the refrigerator' on it today. Funny, come to think of it, I never see that on any of my lists!

This blog has lists on it: my links list, links to favorite places I visit, a list of the paintings on this blog. And here's a list of lists I found today:

Timothy McSweeney Tips Out His Muse: Poetic, silly and fun list of lists.
Ta-Da Lists.
To Do List.

Here's a list by one of my favorite authors:

Did I ever tell you that Mrs. McCave
Had twenty-three sons and she named them all Dave?

Well she did. and that wasn't a smart thing to do.
You see, when she wants one and calls out, "Yoo-hoo!
Come into the house, Dave!" she doesn't get one.
All twenty-three Daves of hers come on the run!

This makes things quite difficult at the McCaves'
As you can imagine, with so many Daves.
And often she wishes that, when they were born,
She had named one of them Bodkin Van Horn
And one of them Hoos-Foos. And one of them Snimm.
And one of them Hot-Shot. And one Sunny Jim.
And one of them Shadrack. And one of them Blinkey.
And one of them Stuffy. And one of them Stinkey.
Another one Putt-Putt. Another one Moon Face.
Another one Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face.
And one of them Ziggy. And one Soggy Muff.
One Buffalo Bill. And one Biffalo Buff.
And one of them Sneepy. And one Weepy Weed.
And one Paris Garters. And one Harris Tweed.
And one of them Sir Michael Carmichael Zutt
And one of them Oliver Boliver Butt
And one of them Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate...
But she didn't do it. And now it's too late.

"Too Many Daves" by Dr. Seuss

I'm adding "read Dr. Seuss" to my list of Things to do rather than worry!


Do you make lists? What do your lists look like?

"Orchid Valley" 2006 26"x20" acrylic on vinyl in reverse
available at kriscahill.com

13 comments:

Sweet Irene said...

Congratulations on getting such a lovely award. It is one I had not seen around yet and you are very lucky to get it, although I must say that it is well deserved.

Being Bipolar, my daily lists are always very short, beside the shopping list and the chores to do around the apartment, my list to do for myself is always about doing things to stay balanced and that means sticking to a daily schedule of rest and sleep and low stress activities, and if possible, to add in some very pleasurable activities to do that fill up my happiness chambers in my soul.

The quest is always for balance and peacefulness and that can result from the tiniest little things that are almost imperceptible to the human eye, but that my soul perceives as nourishing and healthy.

Too many lists would clutter up my life and that would cause stress, which is a big no-no and must be avoided at all times. Even healthy amounts of stress can work in reverse.

I enjoyed "Too many Daves" and had forgotten how enjoyable Dr Seuss was. "Green Eggs and Ham" used to be my kids' favorite.

The Artful Eye said...

I'm off to Orchid Valley, said Sally might you give me a tally, of awards to date or is it too late? If I were wise I'd say they've got good eyes, cuz the art is so smart and it's cheery and gay to add joy to our day.

laughing eh?! This painting is fabulous.. the rich burgundy sweep lends to rolling landscape and movement. BTW- I'm the queen of lists, I make lists of lists on post it's and they are stuck everywhere and then I don't know where and then I fall down and start over. Great post.

HMBT said...

I don't make lists...I am a post it note person. I stick my notes on the wall over my desk, on the easel, on the fridge. I don't make lists because I find that the making of the list some how translates in my brain to "did it". So, I leave reminders for myself when I need them. I DO make lists when I go shopping for anything...I hate shopping of any kind so I make lists to keep me moving along quickly. Great post!!! Congrat's on another award!

JafaBrit's Art said...

I am trying to catch up with blogs, and I so enjoyed reading your posts, and wow that green heart (it is stunning) with the lush purple. Your lists are great. I make lists, but they are short and not always so sweet. Do the bloody dishes, draw lips, do the bloody shopping, paint skeleton, call so and so, exercise, etc etc ;)

I find others sell me better than I can (I am bad at it), which is one of the bonus' of being in the jafagirl group. I can shamelessly plug them, and I don't mind if they shamelessly plug me LOL!

JafaBrit's Art said...

oh congrats on the awards, very cool!

Kris Cahill said...

Irene, thank you much. I think your daily lists are the kind many people would get so much out of having. Life is very stress producing, isn't it, and it takes some consciousness to be stress free. Which is what you are working at everyday, wow! I am in awe of your ability to heal yourself by being on top of this.

Andrea, would you and Sally like to meet in the Valley? We could go orchid hunting, I hear they're in season! I also lose my lists, but have yet to write "find other lists" on a list!

Heather, I especially MUST have a list when shopping. I am so distracted by shiny colorful things that I totally lose sight of what I went there for in the first place without my list!

Corrinne, I like your list style, especially adding "bloody" to it, and writing "draw lips" on it. Now that is a fun list! Thanks for the visit.

dianeclancy said...

Hi Kris,

Congrats on this award!! You always bring me sunshine!! I love this painting too.

I usually use lists a lot - they help me keep organized. I have just taken on too much responsibility lately and feel like I am just constantly handling what comes at me.

But I have a few lists here so they don't fall through the cracks!!

~ Diane Clancy
www.DianeClancy.com/blog
www.YourArtMarketing.com

dianeclancy said...

Hi Kris,

Congrats on this award!! You always bring me sunshine!! I love this painting too.

I usually use lists a lot - they help me keep organized. I have just taken on too much responsibility lately and feel like I am just constantly handling what comes at me.

But I have a few lists here so they don't fall through the cracks!!

~ Diane Clancy
www.DianeClancy.com/blog
www.YourArtMarketing.com

Noel said...

Dear Kris, congrats on another award. How's that mantel? Do those balloons still have air in them?

Here si what I wrote on my list today:

Find yesterdays list and check off the items accomplished.

If items are not checked off or accomplished, add to todays list.

Get a new pen just for lists.

Save lists for researchers to find in a thousand years.

Tell Kris you love her and bring her some silly expensive chocolate.

Stop worrying.

Make yourself stop worrying by writing it on your list twice.

Stop writing so many lists.

Well, that is my list for today. Gotta get to work. Later.

Kris Cahill said...

Diane, thank you! The feeling is mutual!

Noel, you are #1 on my list, baby!!

John (Copyright JMM 2007-2008) said...

OK, sometimes I lather up the sunscreen before coming here....my best - you are sunny side up. Over easy, bye bye.

Kim said...

gorgeous Orchid Valley Kris..
slashes of red mists...reminds me of a place over here called Mangrove Mountain...
your no worry list is great !!
wow ...18" snow !!!
I'm that obsessive about lists that I write mini lists from lists :)

Kris Cahill said...

John, don't forget your shades too!

Kim, thank you. Now, I'd only worry when your lists begin to organize themselves by masking new lists...